Monday, January 12, 2009

taxigraphic memories





A close up of my side view mirror on Pike Slip. A double decker tourist bus behind the mirror. A typical backseat nap awaiting dispatch at the JFK taxi hold. Junks, forever docked at South Street Seaport. The overhead FDR on that side view mirror. A shot of the first passenger in two years who allowed me to take their picture. Not that I often asked. Always assumed people are distrusting. Skyline as seen from Kosciuszko Bridge with my brutish face in the frigging way. A food rescue cargo tricycle receiving the well deserved right of way for helping redistribute supermarket leftovers to the hungry. The Willie B bridge by night. An easterly view from the far west of Midtown. Notice the prominent door lock. A picture of the best Sephardic cabbie in New York, followed by a very short video clip shot inside my cab by Italian tourists, and totally by mistake.

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha laughed at the video, especially how they are sitting like three stooges giving the thumbs up.

    Your favourite auntie is one of my favourite artists. From her site she seems like a wonderful person.

    Have a great day. By the way I love your blog because I feel like I am seeing a whole other life.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love your blog! What a great concept and what an awesome opportunity to witness humanity and all its bizarre highs and lows.

    Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. I felt like an ass just trying to assert an opinion on the situation in the West Bank, since I only know enough to know it is a minefield set inside a minefield set inside the Bible.

    Can't wait to hear more stories and maybe get a ride from you next time I'm in NYC. I would have let you take my picture, just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/27/2009

    Nice images and writings Gil..I love your aliveness, livlihood and loveliness...love..
    Being goofy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read some of your blog, totally interesting!
    I've had several close friends who drove for years/ still drive cabs (in San Francisco and Greenville, North Carolina.)
    I know this is a bad idea, (I already know, but where's the harm in asking?) but do you ever let friends ride along on a shift? I like adventures, I love people, and though I grew up there I feel like I don't know much about the geography of NYC. I realize this is probably illegal.
    Anyway, I'll definitely be in New York sometime this month, we should hang out.
    Jenine

    ReplyDelete

Share input and feedback or Putin backfeed!